Thursday, August 9, 2012

Building my Book Nook - Day 1 & 2

I did it! I finally started working on my Book/Reading Nook. I have a hidden and unused corner in my room and I always planned to put in a cushioned platform where I can sit/lie down to relax and read my books. I planned to do it for years now, but I never actually did it. But after reading some books in which the protagonists are fixing up houses I got into the mood to do something. So, thank you Nora Roberts for finally getting me to do it ;)


Yesterday I sketched a very rough "blueprint", took the relevant measurements and convinced my dad to get me materials, for which I am endlessly grateful.
So today I woke up and was motivated to get to work. Which is probably the reason why spent the entire day sawing, drilling, sanding and then screwing all the parts together. I did take a lunch break and read a few pages of "Pushing The Limits" by Katie McGarry which started very promising, but I just couldn't concentrate because I actually wanted to get back to work. Suprise suprise!
I have to say I'm very proud of myself and today's work. I made some serious progress and finished the complete framework for my platform and cleared out the corner in my room. I'm happy to announce: It fits! :D No need to take it apart again, thank you very much! ^.^

So, now my whole body hurts (especially my right arm), but I'm really happy and, sure enough, I had a lot of fun.
But now comes the hard part. Sewing. Just the word makes me shudder. Let me just tell you I'm really bad with needles and threads, but it's so much more economical to do it on my own. So now I'll have to go fabric shopping, which actually might be fun and then it's time to sew A LOT of covers for cushions because I want to be comfortable and I want it to be really colorful.

But that's for another day. Now I'll just enjoy my free evening and be proud of today's accomplishments. I'll keep you up to date on any further progress!

2 comments:

  1. Hehe, see what Nora Roberts is good for. *grin*

    It looks great so far and I am really looking forward seeing the final result. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D
      The muscles in both my arms are really sore, but it was worth it! I hope, that I'll be able to buy the rest of the materials this weekend, but I might have to wait for the next one. Sometimes (okay, most of the time) being patient is no fun! ;]

      Delete